The most important tips for traveling in Vietnam:
How to obtain a visa for Vietnam?
- online visa - it is verified and cheapest way to obtain a original visa
- To get him at the airport in Vietnam, make sure you immediately to photocopy
- Vietnam anybody leave the passport (recommend to have 2 passports or photocopy)
- Some hotels will want after you pass the report to the police - insist on a photocopy
- Sometimes require a passport and when renting bikes, sometimes not - if you do insist on a photocopy
- Vietnam to launch e-visas in February 1, 2017, foreign tourists of 46 countries to Vietnam could soon have their visas emailed (more info). In 2018, you can enter Vietnam still through the purchase of the approval letter
Where to accomodate in Vietnam?
- low cost option of accommodation - look for Nha Nghi (“Guesthouse, Hostel, Homestay”)
- prices for accommodation in Nha Nghi (from about 5 - 10 USD)
- there are clean beds, hot water, mostly Wi-fi internet, sometimes TV, often without food
- you will find luxury hotels only in big and major tourist spots
- I recommend to make a reservation for the first days in Hanoi
- book your hotel on Agoda or Airbnb or Homestay
- more information about Airbnb in Vietnam
What to watch out in traffic and transportation?
- traffic in Hanoi is terrible chaos
- it is dangerous, but drivers in Hanoi drive rather slowly
- most bus drivers drive like suicides
- traffic regulations are not respected
- bus transportation in mountainous areas is very slow
- ride on a motorcycle slowly
Airbnb booking service works well in Vietnam?
- yes, very well, as elsewhere in the world
- homestay, hotels, apartments, boat trips and other services
- Register here and get a free credit worth up to 25 USD for your first accommodation
- Read more about Airbnb in Vietnam
Where to book and buy tickets for the train and bus?
- you can buy tickets directly on train and bus stations
- I recommend to book and buy train and bus tickets on Baolau (also bus tickets) or 12go.asia
- buy online ticket and keep it in your mobile phone or tablet
- do not buy tickets in the front of train station from the dealers
How to call in Vietnam and use the internet?
- buy a tourist prepaid SIM card, it’s cheap (you can buy almost everywhere)
- Skype and Viber for international phone calls
- Internet is almost everywhere, hostel, restaurant, coffee house… (except small street restaurants)
- different data packages for mobile Internet in tourist SIM cards
- I do not recommend make a payment transaction or money transfer on unsecure Wi-Fi network
What kind of weather should I expect?
- weather is changeable, especially in mountainous areas
- recommended months for traveling in Vietnam - October, November, March, April, May
- weather with lower temperatures than in the south is in northern Vietnam
- prepare to high humidity
It is necessary to vaccinate for Vietnam?
- for your vaccination talk to your doctor
- my opinion: it is not necessary, but I recommend at least a rabies vaccination
(a lot of errant dogs in the villages, you do not know what to expect)
- Prevention: antimalarial drugs, probiotics, mosquito repellent (DEET), clothing with long sleeves
Where to eat in Vietnam?
- the most delicious, cheap and typical Vietnamese dishes you will find on the street (streetfood)
- restaurants with western meals are only in the tourist spots
- there are a lot of minirestaurants and snacks with one or two meals
Where can I buy the cheapest flight ticket to Vietnam?
- before you book a flight ticket to Vietnam, go through more of these sites and comparators
- you can use: Skyscanner, Momondo, Cheapflights, Kayak, Matrix
Where can I visit ethnic markets?
- the most authentic market you will find in the North at the border with China
- markets take place in less frequented areas (except Sapy and larger cities)
- check out for list of ethnic markets in northern Vietnam
What important I should take to Vietnam?
- an invitation letter to obtain a Vietnam visa + passport (photocopy)
- reduction in drawers it is not necessary
(You can buy reduction almost everywhere)
- personal medication (in some remote areas it is complicated to buy something)
It is necessary to take warm clothes in northern Vietnam?
- yes, if you go into mountainous areas, weather can change quickly
- it is very cold in the mountains in the winter
- temperatures can fall to 0 °C, sometimes there is even snow (Sapa)
What to watch and beware in Vietnam?
- mainly on personal things, there are frequent thefts in Hanoi (like everywhere in the world)
- the roads are unpredictable and in not very good condition in the mountains
- Hanoi - copying hotels and shops under the same name
- on crossing roads and streets in Hanoi
- read more in this article - What to watch in Vietnam
How to move and transport in Vietnam?
- the best way is to use a motorbike, you’ll see a lot more
- use mobile application Google Maps or Maps.me
- Maps.me - there are no